No doubt about it, the work-from-home transition during the mandatory COVID-19 stay-in-place business lockdown has been a watershed moment.
It has given organizations a “live-fire” exercise in determining how prepared they are to identify and respond to security breaches with remote workers connecting to their network, both inside and outside their firewalls.
- A BitSight report sampling 41,000 businesses comparing the difference between corporate networks and Work From Home-Remote Office (WFH-RO) networks estimated that home networks are 3.5 times more likely than corporate networks to contain at least one malware family, with some malicious software 20 times more frequently present on home networks.
- PCMagazine reported that Google has detected a 350% increase in the number of phishing sites since the beginning of the year, primarily fake COVID-19 websites.
- Markets Insider noted security company RiskIQ has tracked coronavirus keywords to determine that more than 300,000 suspicious COVID-19 websites were created between March 9 and March 23 this year.
As the U.S. begins reopening out of quarantine, is your organization’s security posture better now than before the health crisis outbreak? Are you ready for a new wave of cyber threats targeting your onsite and remote workers?
Team with the experts to help fight your security battles
Now’s the time to partner with a trusted managed security provider to help you mitigate security risks and protect business continuity. Here are four ways to get started building countermeasures to protect your data and network.
- Harden security at the endpoint level – IDC reports that an estimated 70% of breaches start on endpoint devices … laptops, workstations, servers and mobile devices. Managed security providers offering Endpoint Security protection can provide deep visibility into every device and application running on-premise and in the cloud. A multi-tier defense should combine prevention, detection and active threat hunting with real-time data and incident response 24/7/365.
- Proactively eliminate vulnerabilities on your network – Unpatched systems are sitting ducks for hackers. Yet, many organizations still do not regularly update their software or systems. Managed security providers offering Patch Management and Vulnerability Scans will monitor all devices and applications to ensure weak entry points are patched and updated to minimize risks used to exploit data breaches.
- Centralize Detection and Response – Every day, new attack strains are hitting the market, making it difficult for IT staffs to keep up and add protective measures. Managed security providers offering fully managed Detection and Response can provide 24/7/365 security monitoring and alerting of your critical systems to improve visibility, time to detection and incident response.
- Boost Antivirus Protection – It does not take long to discover that traditional antivirus is no match for today’s sophisticated cyber threats. Managed security providers offering next-generation Antivirus Protection use a combination of artificial intelligence, behavioral detection and algorithms to stop both known and unknown attacks.
Do you need help building stronger security resilience from cyber-threats? Let us help. Download our free Managed Security mini-booklet to learn more. Or contact us to schedule consultation with one of our security experts.
Mike Penn joined Magna5 as Senior Content Developer. His role is to bring to life stories that inspire or inject clarity in how managed services and emerging trends can be applied to help organizations operate better and more efficiently.