The ripple effect of a major global health crisis can have a profound impact on organizational operations. As we’ve seen with the recent coronavirus outbreak, the economic impact has sapped financial markets, emptied shops and businesses, and put major sites and events off limits.
- Factories supplying key international markets are shut down.
- Supply chains cannot fulfill orders due to shortages.
- Companies reliant on imported parts are sidelined.
- Retail outlets are closed.
- Airline flights are grounded indefinitely.
- Tourism is at a standstill.
- Travel agency and hotel bookings are falling sharply.
- Financial markets are pummeling.
- Schools are closed in affected areas.
- Workers are abstaining from offices and places of work.
In other words, a highly contagious disease outbreak can have a domino effect where the whole global economy is under quarantine.
A Wakeup Call … Is Your Organization Ready?
In times of crisis, Magna5 likes to say, “Always expect the best … but prepare for the worst.” One of the beauties of working in a digital world is that it lets workers work anywhere, anytime. Instead of waiting for a major crisis to bring your organization to a standstill, here are six ways Magna5’s managed IT services can help organizations ensure readiness in supplementing contingency plans to keep remote employees productive.
- Unified communications is a collection of solutions that integrate multiple communication applications and collaboration tools within an organization. This allows employees to communicate in several ways: phone calls, instant messaging, video conferencing, email, mobile, etc. With all communication methods unified on a single, cloud platform, workers can work from home, across branch locations or on the road.
- Collaborative software, such as Microsoft Teams, enables unified communications users to extend their organization’s telephone services simultaneously to multiple endpoints, including a user’s laptop, desktop, portable devices or mobile handset. Employees will be able to chat, screen share, record meetings and conduct voice/video calls. An app is available from the user’s phone or tablet as well as a software application for a computer.
- Cloud managed networks can securely extend an organization’s network to a remote employee’s home by connecting through a central security appliance managed by Magna5. The appliance uses an internet connection and Ethernet port to connect directly to a modem or the employee’s personal router. An encrypted VPN connection is then created to secure remote traffic on the network. Employees can also connect their physical desk phone through the appliance to receive calls.
- Remote desktop services allow users to connect and control their PC from a remote device. Users will be able to access all their apps, files and network resources as if they are sitting at their desk.
- In the event internal IT staff are prohibited from coming to the office, managed network monitoring and managed cybersecurity services can proactively monitor, identify and remediate issues in real time. Centrally managed by Magna5 certified engineers from our 24/7/365 Operations Center, we remotely watch the health of organizations’ networks to avoid downtime and provide early detection and protection against cyberattacks.
- Aging IT technology and equipment are not designed for today’s remote workers and cloud applications. Magna5 can oversee all aspects of updating organizations’ network environments and equipment … from design and procurement to configuration and installation. In addition, fully managed private cloud / public cloud hosting and datacenter colocation can simplify modernizing IT environments to ensure networks across branch locations are performing at their highest level during a crisis.
Foresight is better than hindsight. Before the next pandemic diminishes an organization’s workforce or disrupts operations, now is a good opportunity to revisit your organizations preparedness to empower remote workers to work anywhere, anytime. Managed IT services should be an integral part of your continency strategies.
Is your network environment adequate to keep your workforce productive in a health crisis? Contact us now to discuss options. Download our free Managed IT Services document to learn more.
Mike Penn joined Magna5 as Senior Content Developer. His role is to bring to life stories that inspire or inject clarity in how managed services and emerging trends can be applied to help organizations operate better and more efficiently.